Home

Friday, August 13, 2010

A long hike to Kampung Semban: July 2010


On 29 April 2010 I got an invitation to go along with a friend and her group of 9 ladies and 2 guys to Kampung Semban, a Bidayu village 12 Km from the Bengol dam which is being built there. I knew that it was on hilly terrain but since I have done several hiking trips I decided to join them since I always wanted to see this village, which is famous because of the 7 ladies with rings around their feet and hands. This is now unique in Sarawak.
Packing
The next day at 9.30 a.m. the driver fetched me from my house and we drove to the Highlands and stopped at the Bengol Dam were we started walking around 11.First we had to walk through scrubland on a well-maintained path with lalang grass and rubber trees. The trail lead us also through Bamboo forest and open field which made it a bit hot since the humidity was around 100%. I also never crossed a river on a Bamboo bridge and I thought that this was really cool, while I heard it cracking and felt it swaying I decided to stop in the middle, take my camera out, take a picture and put the camera back while still holding firm with one hand on the handrail so as not to fall in the river or drop my camera. We crossed three Bamboo bridges and one of them was clearly longer and higher. It was also cool and windy on this bridge but since we had to continue there was no time to play around. I was glad that there were many resting places and I noticed that there were a lot of porters that carry everything on their back to those villages since there is no other transport.  Their load was pretty heavy and I guest that some had more than 30 kilo’s on their back. The youngest porter I met was only 16 and very strong and fit.




I heard from a friend that these bamboo bridges need repairing every 8 months since it bamboo becomes brittle over time and can break. Many people cross these with loads that include furniture, television whatever they need in those villages uphill. Friends of Semban made nice t-shirts to sell in Kuching to raise money for the repair of these bridges and for school necessities.
Lunch was at the 1st waterfall near Kampung Bojong and it is a bit sad to know that soon this place is history when they close the dam and everything will be flooded. 
Waterfall at Kp Bojong
After lunch was when it got tough since we had to climb the staircase to heaven and it seems that it had no ending since it went on and on and when you think you’re almost there are still more stairs to climb and it costs a lot of energy, sweat and I became tired too.
staircase to heaven

resting place
tasty dinner at Sagen and Kipin's place
Sagen and Kipin our host
Kampung Semban


At 6pm I finally reached the kampung just before the rain. Our host Sagen Aden the Ketua Kampung and his wife Kipin welcomed us and we stayed here 3 days.  Food was very tasty and they served pansoh the first day and all the veggies from his garden and no chemicals. It was a beautiful evening under the stars while we had dinner outside. It was cool and there were no mosquitos and no noise.


One of the Ring ladies probably around 80 years old?
Next morning we missed the sunrise since it was very cloudy after the rain and the group went to a waterfall another two hours walk from here on a steep and slippery path and I decided to stay behind and Sagen took me around the village.
Saw one of the ring ladies, probably in her eighties, in the early morning with a basket full of wood for cooking and she was very fit and fast walking. People are growing most of their food there and got fresh eggs from chicken walking freely around their premises.  They also grow chewing tobacco and it was probably the time to dry it since they had just harvested. First the ladies sliced the leaves into small pieces and than dried them in the sun before they keep it in their storage room. Was very nice walking around the village and had a good time. We went to see a bamboo musician and  his wife was one of the ring ladies and their grandson one of the porters.
Chewing tobacco
Basket made by Kipin
Another ring lady and she also got rings around her arms
Next early morning after breakfast we started walking back and the view was spectacular seeing the mountains and since I walked by myself I could take pictures and enjoy the quietness and was less tough to go down until we came at the village near the first waterfall. Saw an old man making his own parang and life is so peaceful in those villages with no cars and pollution and only hearing hens and chicken sounds.
Kampung Bojong
It was hot that day and the last part walking in the open was not easy and suddenly the sky became so dark and just before I reached the last steep hill on this trip taking me back to the cars it started raining and I was soaked when I reached the parking place. I was glad I did this trip although it was steeper than I expected but worth meeting all these nice people at Semban and see the area before it will be flooded and gone forever.


No comments: